working shot



It sometimes slips my mind when doing run-and-gun portrait work like this. But every now and then I remember to take the working shot. Here is one taken this morning of Anna holding an Elinchrom Rotalux softbox with Free light S head connected to a Ranger RX Speed battery pack. These packs are amazing. The light that comes from them is, for lack of a better word, CLEAN. I am always amazed at the difference in quality from when I use other less expensive lights or even Nikon SB-800s. These have been a true companion to my work.

The head is also attached to the pole of a A608B Avenger mini-century stand by Manfrotto. Other poles can be purchased, but I like the fact that I can have a mini stand OR a pole for grip instead of carrying two things. It is light and Anna likes that.

The assignment was to shoot a bunch of store owners, managers, workers in a small town center. I have maybe a half an hour for each shop so I don't have the time for extended set up, styling, make up, prop, etc. That is why I call this, run-and-gun portraits or more like 'fly by the seat of our pants portraits.



1 comment:

Pat Morrissey said...

Aaron, just subscribed to your blog and am really please that I did. Love the commentary and the shots and the links. Particularly enjoy seeing setup shots - I know they must be a hassle sometimes, so thanks for sharing.