LiveBooks taught me another cool thing

I was recently submitting a new web blast through Agency Access to a selection of hopeful clients when I ran into an issue. I have a recent shoot of a Tequila manufacturer from Mexico. I want for the people who click through to see a selection of images from this shoot. Then they can go look at my site if they are impressed. 
What Livebooks offers is for a Client Access area for me to have these images and password protected. But what happens is some web browsers (like firefox) see the long link and strip out the password, Leaving the viewer to have to put a password. 9 times out of 10 the possible client will get confused, close the window and move on. They are too busy to be entering a password.

So to fix this, Jericho Diaz at LiveBooks helped to show a quick way of creating a redirect. 

I am not a web guy in the slightest. I see code as a headache. But when I created a redirect and uploaded it to my page, it worked. yeah!!!

So here is how I did it for those who have LiveBooks (which I strongly reccomend).

First go to this link and download the FREE program for mac called smultron  I don't know what the program is for PC (sorry).

Then click on the + and create a new page.

Copy and paste this stuff

<head>
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=XXXXXXXX">
</head>

In the spot where it says XXXXXXXX Go ahead and copy the loooong link from your client access area and paste it in there.

The link to my tequila page looks like this. http://www.ansarov.com/#mi=1&pt=2&pi=11000&p=-1&a=0&at=0&pw=tequila


Then save it and name the file as a simple filename (in my case it was tequila.
Finally log into your livebooks account, go to the ftp section, select Upload as 'any file or folder of files for web viewing', and choose the file you just created.

* Note* The file MUST be named 'index.html' before it is uploaded and then renamed in the FTP to whatever you wish later.

You are then done. Your new link will be www.yoursite.com/XXXXXXXX

Here is an example. Click on this link and see how it works.  www.ansarov.com/tequila

What will happen is the browser will get redirected from tequila to the long web address which contains the webpage and password.

BAM. done!!!  Now you can give a client (or future client) a link to a selection of work without them freaking over the super long weblink crap. It looks simple and if you actually name the link to match your client's name it might even look like you know what you are talking about. 


No comments: