IT DOES WORK!!!!

I first have to say this. I don't know how long I have had this
mentality of passion and determination. Was it my family upbringing? a
movie or book I watched or read? a person that helped me by example?
God? All of the above? I don't know, but what I do know is that when
people are met with adversity, they have choices to make. They can
give in and give up or get up and move forward. That said...
It was always a childhood dream to be a National Geographic
Photographer. To be among the ranks of the most highly respected
admired, historical figures who's images will stand the test of time.
Not ever know how it was going to happen, I just knew it would.
I am not there yet!

Where I am though is ONE BIG STEP CLOSER AS OF TODAY!
So when I got the call this afternoon from one of the Senior Photo
Editors at NatGeo, I sent it to my voicemail. I was on an assignment
and did not want to be rude to my client. But when I called back a few
hours later, I was happy to hear that she was simply calling to
congratulate me on my selection to June's issue of Photo Journal.
There will be a one page article about me and the Backyard Project.
Three images will be published and a blurb about the project will be
written.

This is a wonderful day for me. I am not only excited about this
opportunity to get my name in print, but more importantly that it be
of images from a PERSONAL PROJECT!!!
Not only a personal project, but a personal project where I literally
photographed creatures found in my backyard!

How cool is that???
More importantly, What more of an example do you need. This shit does
work. Having a little determination, pushing your internal limits and
then pushing harder. Working on something that means something to you.
THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT!!!

Please don't think of this article as if I was bragging, but more
showing examples of someone who is less than 2 years of being out of
the military, moving to a new state, not having any client base and
nothing more than hopes, dreams a very supportive wife and many many
many mentors CAN DO IT!

Why do we subscribe to blogs like this? to get inspiration to use in
our own lives. Well hopefully this little tidbit will inspire someone
else.

Now for the next step. To push harder and find out how to get an
assignment from them.

The life of a passionate photographer continues...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey...I have been reading from a far...looking at your work and being inspired to push myself with this passionate crazy journey of photography. All I can say is wow...good for you! The dream to realize the yellow frame is the biggie...and to do it on your own personal project well that is just too special.

WAY TO GO!

Unknown said...

Congatulations Aaron,

that is huge news. The Yellow Border is a big dream of many of us and you're one step closer.

I had an image in National Geographic Traveler a few years back and didn't come down for a week! :)

Congratulations.

Paul Dymond

Unknown said...

Well done mate! really proud of you, I think Mr Joe Mcnally had a hand in it somewhere, I think you need to let him know.

There is a life outside the military, and you and your determination have proved it.

Rich