Does this make me green?



Here's an concept. When I was in the military it was hilarious how many boxes of batteries I would go through in a month. Our bosses never saw it as being cost effective to buy rechargeable batteries. One reason was they thought we would loose them. This is a good concept. But after being out of the Navy for two years I can say I have not lost a battery yet. I invested in Energizer batteries simply by choice at the time of buying them. I think it was because they where colored green. Isn't it crazy how we can be slaves to marketing. 
Anyway, If a person where to purchase 20 batteries and a quick charger (rechargers 4 at a time in 15 minutes), they would spend around $100.00 (charger = $33.99 and 5 packs of 4 batteries cost $11.99)
A pack of 20 regular (non-rechargeable) batteries would cost about $17.00. I just checked on Amazon and saw a 24 pack for $16.99

Over this past year alone I can guesstimate I have had to charge my batteries about 30 times. This is usually after editorial shoots or other shoots on locations where I couldn't use my Elinchrom Ranger lights (also battery packs).

So let's do some basic math. If I were to buy a new 20 batteries at approximately $14.16 per 20 (16.99 divided by 24 = .70 x 20 = 14.16) instead of recharging every time. Knowing I have recharged 20 times, I would have spent ($14.16 x 30) $424.80. So when it is all said and done, this year I saved $324.80. Of course the more I recharge on these batteries the more I save. Every time I recharge, I am saving $14.16. GET IT!!!

Another side affect is I am helping the environment by not throwing away tons of batteries (would have been 600 by now). 
Not like that matters though does it? 
Does this make me green?
Oh by the way, The Nikon warrantee on the SB-800s is still good if using rechargeable batteries. It is VOID if you use battery packs other than their SD-8A


No comments: