How can cheesy horror flicks inspire others?


One of the absolute most important things a photographer must do is to keep learning. In the past it was a bit simpler. It was all about shooting the image. Nowadays there is more to it. A lot more. No matter where you turn there is a new application for a still image. Video, multimedia, DigiRostrum, etc.
I was recently at the movies and my wife and I just had to see the My Bloody Valentine in 3D. This is not our dad's 3D. This is REAL D. Invented by Lenny Lipton  This new tech is pretty cool. Here is a summary. They film the scene with two cameras side by side like human eyes. Shooting . Then the final product is placed in a machine that projects the movie at 72 frames per second (the same rate the human eye sees), but in sequential order. Meaning the left frame and right frame alternate. The a special silver screen reflects the polarized light to be reflected to the viewer who then wears polarized glasses. Thus things in the foreground appear to leap out.
Now of course we have all seen the old 3D with the red and green/blue glasses. I never liked them because I would get headaches. Especially if your head was titled during the movie. Well this new circular polarized stuff is pretty freaking' amazing. I spent the entire time not concerned about how silly the movie was and more being fascinated by how cool this technique was. NOW I am on a new mission. I am out to find how I can apply this technique to still imagery in a way that will blow people away in a same way it blow's movie-goers away.
My first start was to attempt a stereo photo much like in the old days of having a camera that had two lenses and took two frames right next to each other. I mounted two Nikon cameras and same lenses and had them sync with the flash at the exact same time. Then I had my beautiful partner and wife, Anna, fire off a few rounds from a cap gun for affect. 
Here's the steps from then. Open both frames. Fo the right camera frame select the red channel only. Copy it. Then go to the left camera frame. select the red channel, but this time paste the right camera frame's red channel into it. You will see some red hallowing because of the different perspective. Move the red channel layer over until the foreground is overlapping. Viola, You have just completed your first 1970's 3D movie poster.

Well, of course it isn't totally as simple as that. There is a bit of post work to do and other junk that requires actual math. Heard of the 1/30th rule, Near/Far point factor?
None of that matters though. It is all information that can be achieved freely as I am giving it. I will find out and learn how to do it and eventually be very good at it and then move on while teaching others. Who knows that might spark inspiration for someone to take it to another level.


No comments: