Japanese beetles and the importance of patience

So I was sitting on my back patio enjoying the wonderful So Florida
winter when this Japanese Beetle (don't quote me I still have to
research, but pretty sure) started flying around. He was literally
flying on my arm as if he was begging to be the next addition to the
Backyard project. SO I quickly grabbed him and put him in a cup while
I got my mini studio together. He was pretty colorful, but what I
really wanted was to catch him in flight. What I can say is that I did
my very very best. It was petty funny catching the guy, putting him on
the board and just as I am ready to get in focus, he flies away again.
I think I did this routine about 30 times. What was crazy was a
majority of the time, I would have him perfectly in focus and framed,
but once his shell opened and his wings where ready to start flapping,
I hesitated. All I could think of was my professor at Syracuse saying,
"Well, if you saw the action happen in the viewfinder then we are
pretty sure you didn't catch the moment." It was so true. I would see
this great thing happening and just as I push the shutter, I would
have an empty frame. I managed to get a few frames off, but I want to
work it more. He is still out there and unless the lizards catch him
first, I may try to do it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the iridescence on the beetles shell, I spent 2 hrs the other day chasing ducks. Any other day they will be all around you pestering for food. Then they see this funny black object with nikon written on it and suddenly they become anti social.

Great post

Rich