Who's your mentor???


Yesterday, I woke up at 6am to drive 3.5 hours to Lakeland, Florida for the Sun-N-Fun fly in. It is more or less an expo of planes and plane show where people go 'shopping' for their next plane purchase. But that isn't why I went. I did it because I needed to see two people who have impacted my life immensely. Calvin and Leisa Goad. They live in San Diego and are one of the most inspirational people I have met in my life. Taking me under their wing when I was going through tough times in my life, they helped get me on my feet and in a path that I can be proud of. I should also mention it was them that introduced me to a class called the PSI Seminar which did more for my life and my career than any photo class could ever have done. 
Their passion, happiness and outlook on life is what inspires and helps me to be a better person. 

Mentorship - Have One / Be One

I believe everyone should have mentors. The ones that are in the place we want to be. You don't necessarily need to be physically with the person to learn from them. Or even know the person to have a great relationship with them (although it helps). You just need to want to learn, want to be. and don't just talk about it. Do it!
On the other note, you should always seek out others to mentor as well. Help them where they need. Always be open and ready to work with people. I now have a principle that when someone seeks me out to help them with something, I drop what I am doing. I devote myself to them and give them 100% of the attention. Why do I do this, because I was mentored by people like Calvin and Leisa who did the same for me when they didn't have to. I have had tons of incredible mentors in my life and it is because of this that I am they way I am. 

It truly is a great thing. Try it, you'll like it. 



No comments: