That really sucks for Digital Railroad users

I received an email today that was pretty scary. When I started getting involved with serious archiving of images, Digital Railroad was one of a few to be considered the ONLY choice for a professional and archiving of imagery. It was a no brainer that if you wanted to operate as a professional, you HAD to have your important images backed up on a server somewhere in case of theft, fire, flood, etc. I thought about it and take a different approach by first archiving to DVDs, then backing up to a Drobo (which is redundant itself, then every year having a hard drive placed in a safe deposit box. There are some guys I know who ONLY use Digital Railroad. They simply import the images from their camera and to the system. I can't imagine the scare this is giving them right now. I guess we all have our own level of fear these days and our own paranoid ways of protecting our valuables. I guess if we ever have an EMP big enough to wipe out all technology, I will be thanking God for my Nikon FM2 sitting on display with the other antiques and the brick of film on the bottom of my stand up freezer.

Here is what I got in the inbox today.

Dear NPPA Members,
 
In the past, the NPPA had a partnership with Digital Railroad offering our members a service discount. In light of the current news on Digital Railroad we recommend that if you are a Digital Railroad customer, you take action immediately to protect your work. In researching what is available, your three best options are to:
 
A)   Personally back up all of your work stored at Digital Railroad

B)   Take advantage of the deal PhotoShelter is offering DRR customers to migrate their data: http://pa.photoshelter.com/mkt/200810/drr.html

C)   All of the above

 
For more information please see the Digital Railroad article the NPPA published, updated this morning, on NPPA.ORG:
 
http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2008/10/digitalrailroad.html
 

No comments: