Art Institute of Ft Lauderdale student interview

I was recently asked to have a 15 minute interview for Jade Ferguson, a photography student at the Art Institute. As always, I ended up spending nearly an hour planting the seeds of ideas and inspiration. Her interview was only supposed to be about my experience with assistants and it ended with me teaching her what to learn for being a pro photographer. It is very important to pass this stuff on as much as possible. She drafted it like a Q&A and here is what she sent me. Anna even had a few things to say.

I found Aaron Ansarov through the black book listing. My primary reason for wanting to interview him was because he is in the editorial field, which is where I am looking to go. And also I love how he illuminates his subjects. I especially like the image of the tarantulla, it even seems like it was posing for the shot. "C'mon shoot me."

Interview Summation

1). What is the most important role of an assistant?
     To be the photographer's right hand man, to anticipate the photographer's 
      every move, has a big hand in the success of the photo shoot. 

2). What are the 3 most important technical skills you expect your       
      assistants to have?
      Lighting skills, Detail oriented, and some photography skills.

3). What are the 3 most important attributes you expect your assistants to     
     have?
     Great personality, attitude, ambitious, ability to want to do anything, lack of 
     fear, has a good memory.

4). What is the maximum number of assistants you have used and what    
      roles do they serve?
     The maximum amount of assistants i've had on a shoot was three. After the first    
      assistant, the second and third are in a rank structure.

5). What is the minimum amount of assistants you like to have on a shoot   
     and what roles did they serve?
    There would just be me as the minimum and I'd do everything, set up everything.     
    Or I'd have Anna.

6). How do you differentiate between first, second, third, and so on as 
     assistants?
     I differentiate assistants by experience level, personality, technical ability.

7). What is the worst thing an assistant can do?
     Sit and do nothing. Thier attitude makes the atmosphere happy, crappy, easy    
     going. Attitude is a very important element.

8). Do you think it is necessary to have a portfolio when seeking out a    
     photography assistant position?
     Yes! It shows your passion and that it's not all just about the money. 

9). How long do you keep your assistants for before you think they are   
     ready to go out on thier own?
     I have not gotten to that point yet. I did have an assistant for three years before I   
     moved here and I still give him advice when he asks for it.
     (Anna): I think its about three years to learn the basics and do decent    
     photography. 

10). How much experience must an assistant just starting out have to have   
        before you star paying them?
        Well, they're part of my team, I pay them. I'm not one to treat anyone like crap. 
        (Anna) But you know after a couple of days if they are someone you can work       
        with, someone to keep around.


No comments: