Peacock Bass

My son, Corbin and I caught this Peacock Bass from the pond in the backyard. It didn't take long. In fact all I did was put a bit of bread on a hook, dropped the line in for a second and pulled this 12 inch (OK maybe 6) guy right out.
He was pretty cool looking and although he was very active when we caught him,
once he got in the tank and the lights started going off, he calmed
down a bit. We photographed for maybe 20 minutes and then put him right back. Once we put him in the pond he sure left in a hurry. It was pretty exciting to do this as this was the first time using a fish tank to hold a wild animal. It seems to have opened a brand new world for me and the Backyard Project. I am using a 10 gallon tank (I think) with a tank filter that is meant for a 30 gallon tank so the water is kept crystal clear. I made sure to keep the water temperature to about the same as the pond so not to put him in shock. Also it was important to make sure the glass was clean and I stay at a same angle to the glass so there is little distortion from the glass. I also ended up using a black board as a Gobo (GOes Before Optics) so there was less reflection from the glass. I moved my lights a lot which is pretty common with me as I try to get as much variety in light from a shoot.



No comments: