At what point does a student become a family member?

I have to say that in the short life I have lived, I have met and been with many wonderful passionate and creative people. As I grew I started to meet more of which that became students, protegés, mentee, young pattawan learners, whatever you want to call them. These are people that see that I have something to give and teach and come to learn and take. Some of them end up being the takers and leavers, but many of them end up becoming friends for many years. Of these groups of students there is an even smaller percentage that end up becoming something much more than I could ever imagine as a student. These students end up becoming buddies and then close friends and finally so close they could be considered a family member. I would do anything for them and they for me. It is a great feeling to have. 

One of these people I am proud to say is Samuel Rogers. I met him about 5 years ago at one of my Light Nights in Suffolk, Virginia. I would have a weekly light night in my garage for whoever wanted to come and chat about photography. Sam was stationed at a nearby AirForce base and would be there every time. He later started spending more time with us picking our brain and taking every bit of guidance to heart. From basic photo skills to life lessons to business management. I spoke it and he listened. But more importantly, he was there for my life lessons and always there to give back when I needed it.

Sam recently ended his career in the Airforce after 8 years of great service to make his way as a freelance photographer in Virginia. After a ton of mentoring and helping him get on his feet he has quickly gained his confidence and independence. He is soon to be a huge threat to any local guy out there and is going to take the industry by storm. I feel this. There is much future in this one.

He finally got his blog up and it already looks great. I would suggest getting onboard with it now and seeing what this guy has to offer. It is all him and it is great.

No comments: