Days in Lives (A visual Walk about)

Recently I was mentoring a young photographer in Japan who is curious
as to what it takes to make great images. One of the few things I
mentioned to him was to make a visual walk about. Something my Mentor,
Chip Maury taught me many years earlier. But I also like to live by
examples and teach by examples. I arrived in Guadalajara, Mexico
Thursday evening and yesterday morning did one of these walk abouts.
Of course having a wife that speaks fluent spanish helps in gathering
permissions for portraits and the ability to sign model/property
releases for stock, but no matter how much advantages a person can
have (gucci gear, access, etc) none of it matters if you can't push
yourself to SEE. Watching expressions, contrasts in light, emotions in
gestures, colors, etc. Becoming aware of the backgrounds, fill the
frame with what is important and waiting for the defining moments that
will make the image.
This is just a quick edit of a few hours driving and walking around.
AA

No comments: