Spiny Backed Orb Weaver

- This is a tropical spider found throughout the southern states and a
perfect example of how much this project has inspired me. I grew up
seeing these things as a kid by the house or in the bushes and simply
stayed away from them. Just a quick look at those nasty spines and any
one will think twice before touching it. Well, I guess that is the
point then isn't it? This spider (about the size of a dime) has a
design that is meant to intimidate the largest of beast. Shot from the
back using an Elinchrom S head and 8 degree spot, I wanted to cast
it's shadow onto the floor in order to show these spines and give a
more three dimensional approach to it's body. When looking at these
creatures, we are sometimes limited by our own eyesight and ability to
look at these things long enough without getting the heebie jeebies,
But when you are up-close and personal with this guy and actually
bringing yourself down to his level, things get a little more
personal .I see this image and still see a face on it's back looking
right at me.

No comments: