"Young War Photographer seeking Mentorship"

"Dear Mr Aaron Ansarov,
I am a young freelance photographer, at the age of 29, seeking to open doors of global opportunity via war, international affairs, other.... ...I have found travels in London (uk), Australia, Costa Rica, six months of cultural politics in Argentina, and five years of career development in Los Angeles.  Actually, it took me five years in LA to learn what I did not want to do; in superficial film Hollywood. I found your contact via NPPA.org on list of mentorships. When you have time to respond, I would love to receive guidance of how I may find entry?  Internship?  Recommendations?...
...I have an inherited, inner military spirit, and training via Army ROTC but now find myself seeking ops before I turn 30."

Well, I think the first thing I will say to you is "Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it."
I am reminded of that movie, Stand by Me. "You wanna see a dead body?"

I make no statements that I am a war photographer. I have served in the Navy for 14 years. During that time, I have been through Jungle survivial, Desert survival, hostage survivial Evasion and resistance (SERE), close quarters combat, specialized weapons training, expert in pistol and rifle and more. I was in many different places throughout the world in peacetime and war. Thailand, Korea, Japan (even Mt Suribachi on Iwo Jima), Many places in Europe and the US. But what you want to know is that I did three separate trips to the middle east. The first was before the war started doing various "Getting ready" assignments and various combat-missions that where pretty cool. Then at the beginning of the war. "Shock and Awe." I was crossing the lines from Kuwait into Iraq on the back of a truck. One of those wearing chem suit and no shower for 2 months before we took Baghdad. I went back a third time and primarily stayed south and mostly at the oil terminals watching that mess. It was at that time I hurt my back. I spent two years in physical therapy and limited duty before finally being forced retired. And all at the ripe young age of 33.

There are some who seem to think you have to be in the middle of the shit to get the good shots. Take a look at this month's (May2008) NPPA clip Contest winner (on the back of this months NPPA mag). It is very reminiscent of a war torn battle field moment. Got the fire, the blood and charred head. All with the emotion of two men helping another wounded. And it was taken in Nashville. 

I remember when I was stationed in San Diego. I actually was the only photographer allowed on the set of Pearl Harbor while filming in Mexico. Was on the set of a few other blockbuster movies as well so I know what you are talking about with the Hollywood life. It is a different life. I was about to get out of the military in San Diego and pursue another life with a magazine when 9/11 happened. I remember speaking to my professor from Syracuse and complaining to him why I couldn't be there and I should be there to document this. He then told me, "What do you think is happening in your own backyard? This affected everyone. Not just the people who live there, but their parents who live where you are too." It made sense. 
It is not where you want to be, but what you do where you are at (Sounds like something Yoda would say).

If it is carnage you seek, maybe try spending a week or so at your local Trauma center. That was my first experience when I was saying the same things you are and wanting to see the action. I spent two weeks with the fourth largest trauma center in the country (Ben Taub Memorial, Houston). Trust me, on a good weekend, you will see enough to really get a feel for things. Then I suggest spending a week with cops in an inner city. Wear the vest and gear and all that. Live with them, spend time on their teams. Go through the long hours and hot days on the streets, always practicing for a day you never want to have happen. 

There are people out there who are really blessed (or maybe they say cursed) with the challenge of telling the story that no one else wants to tell. They are people whose sole purpose in life is to tell the atrocities of war. No matter whose side you are on. War sucks. Look to James Natchwey's work. Watch his movie War Photographer. To me, he is the man we should all admire and feel sorry for at the same time. He has the gift. He is not what some call a bang bang photographer only out to get the cool shots of people's heads being blown off and bodies flying through the air after an IED blows.

Ever heard of PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. That is sometimes a side affect to seeing this stuff. And that is if your lucky not to get hurt or die. The seemingly invincible Natchwey almost died when someone threw a grenade in his humvee. It was only because of instant bravery of Mike Weisskopf (another correspondent) who grabbed the grenade and tried to throw it away but not before it blew off his hand. They were lucky. Some of my friends were not. I have one in particular who will always be on my mind. He happens to be the first Navy combat photographer to loose his life when some stupid IED blew up next to his Humvee while on an op.

I did two tours as a combat cameraman. One in San Diego and half of one in Norfolk, Virginia. I never got shot at and didn't have to shoot at anybody and I thank God for that. I unfortunately saw a lot of stuff and don't care to remember some things or times. Now I am out and trying to make a life as a commercial photographer. Just like you. I guess the difference is that you are wanting to see if the grass is greener on my side and I know the answer for yours.

I am sure you weren't expecting a long ass email like this, but I guess that is why I label myself as a Passionate Photographer. 
As for your question to me on how you may find entry, Internship, Recommendations; I would say try out the ERs so you can get the feel for the nasty stuff, hang out with the cops to get the feel for the dangerous stuff, then hang out with the fire department to get the feel for the long hours and hot uncomfortable moments. All will give you an experience you will take with you for life.

Then, if you feel like it let me know and I'll give you more guidance.

One of the best things a photographer gets to say to justify why he has the coolest job in the world is this, "I get to see and experience the best (and sometimes worse) parts of people's lives and then leave when (or before) I get bored of it." One thing though. Sometimes you get to carry these things in your head forever.

Hope I didn't freak you out too much. I just want to say the things others may not because of silly things like politeness or political correctness

AA
  

No comments: