When the student is ready the master appears

Received an email today from one of my protegés (what else do you call them?). He just got his paperwork telling him he is going to Syracuse University as one of four in the Navy to obtain the honor. I am so very proud of him and his success in the past 2 years or so. Especially when I remember the first experience I had with him was in my workshop where he literally did not know what the 'P' stood for on the camera. He could blame/credit everybody in the world as to why or how he got to where he is today, but it is really all him and his passion. 
I believe in many principles in life. One of them being the fact that the choices we made led us to where we are today and the choices we make from this point on will take us to where we want to be or not want to be. They are all deliberate and on purpose. Those who know me have heard this line many times. Including Matt, I would love to say I had something to do with his success, but I won't for one reason. What information I gave him, I gave to countless others. I mentor and teach to whoever wants as much and whenever I can, but it really all comes to the person to want it and go with it. In today's "information age" there isn't much information anymore that is not obtainable.
example: someone asked me what a blimp camera is. I said, "watch this." I typed blimp camera on google and up comes a youtube video by John Harrington showing a blimp camera, how to use it and who makes it.
What it all comes down to now is how bad do you want to know. Knowledge is everything. and everything is at your fingertips. There are various ways of gaining knowledge. I refer to a mentor who told me that three main ways we communicate to each other; audible, visual and tactile.
Listen to a podcast, watch a video or workshop or actually pick up the camera and learn from your mistakes. I suggest all three. But what it all really comes down to is the Chinese proverb, "When the student is ready the master appears."

No comments: