"I am headed to the DoD Military Photo Workshop"

I was emailed today by someone headed to the Department of Defense Military Photographers Workshop. She is very excited and wanted to know what advice I would give her. This is what I said.
My advice to you is the same as everybody that goes. Don't sleep. Soak up as much info as you can. If you aren't shooting you better be going to lunch with the mentors. You better be pounding on their hotel doors and asking to hang out. I want you to spend as much time with Chip Maury and Ken Hackman as you can. They are the Godfathers of military photojournalism and responsible for why you are there. Also Eli Reed is amazing to hang with. Research these names and know a little about them before ou go. You will be amazed as to their history. I don't think Mary Calvert is going to be there this year. She may be in Afghanistan which is a shame because she is such an inspiration not only to me, but to many women photographers. Gary Keifer is a dear friend. You make sure he doesn't let you drink any of that crap Russian Vodka. He brought some for me last year. Remind him of what he did to me last year and make sure he gives me a call.

I remember my first DoD workshop I had fought very hard to go to. My command didn't see the need in it and was meeting all kinds of negativity against it because I had 'only graduated Syracuse the year before' (you are never supposed to stop learning. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise). So I went and I remember one night I am in this hotel room with all the facilitators. I was the only student there. They gave me a beer and I was just sitting there immersed in them telling stories. I remember listening to Wally Mcnamee tell funny stories about his time with Ronald and Nancy Reagan when he stopped and looked at me with this intent expression and said, "Aaron, explain to me something. Why the hell are you the only student in this room?" I didn't know what to say. I do now. Unfortunately, in the military a majority of us never get passed that phase of "Keep your mouth shut, do what you are told" mentality. A prson only thinks that being a student happens in the classroom. It is a shame. There is so much to learn after hours that I can't emphasize it enough. AND you gain the respect of the leaders and will feel more than comfortable later to actually do what the suggest at the end of the workshop and KEEP IN TOUCH WITH THEM. Earnie Grafton normally keeps the 'gatherings' to his room. They get to be some good ones. Just don't drink much. It sometimes ruins the learning experience. Drinking or not, the only things discussed are always photography. Don't be affraid of Preston Keres. I know he is a big guy and actually looks like the devil, but he is just a teddie bear. If he gives you flack, just warn him that Aaron will tell you some stories about him. 
You are not going to this workshop just to spend a fast paced week with some of the greatest photographers around. You are going to meet your new family of passionate people who you will be family for the rest of your life. And just like there are those cousins you never hear from and those who are your best friends, the same applies to how much you get involved with these guys.
That's my advice. Shoot your ass off. Listen to their direction and spend every waking moment at their sides. And not just the one you are assigned to. All of them. YOU BETTER be bringing your portfolio and other images that you may not have in your portfolio. You better be showing it to every one of them. This is your opportunity to get as much information as you can handle FOR FREE.
Make sure you do one favor for me. Give each of them a hug and tell them it is from me. Especially Chip Maury, but be careful. He might get excited.

No comments: