Be prepared and know the weather, but it's never a guarantee the model will show up




First I have to give pops to a few websites.
I always check these and other sites days and hours before a shoot. Not like it ever makes a difference. You sometimes never know. 

Especially in South Florida. It always amazes me when I can see it poring rain on one side of the street, but be bright and sunny on the other side.

I typically don't do model's portfolios, but this couple approached us and wanted to hire us to shoot their portfolio and we agreed. Our plan was to begin the day at 630AM on Ft Lauderdale beach shooting through the morning and then on to studio work. We had very cool shots in mind and it was going to be super fun to be creative with two beautiful models.

Unfortunately the models heard on the news there was to be a slight chance in rain and wanted to cancel. My first response was, "Bad weather is good weather." 

When it comes to dynamic photography everybody knows about the Golden Hours. The hour in the morning and in the evening when the sun is at the horizon and the light is Golden and beautiful. I go a bit further and ask for the clouds to look cool and dramatic. This morning couldn't have been any better.

Of course we would never know if we didn't get up and go. On a Sunday nonetheless. And trust me, I like my sleep.

Of course this is always a chance and you have to be prepared. I always carry in my camera bag a set of OP/Tech rainsleeves. These are disposable and do the job just nicely to keep the rain from getting in the cracks and frying your camera.

For my SB-800s I use regular 1 gallon ziploc freezer bags which work just fine. For my Elinchrom kit I use some more durable rain gear. Most of which from my Navy days, but trying to work with a company to design more specific cases for the elinchrom ranger kit.

No matter what, RAIN SHOULD NEVER STOP YOU!!! As long as you are safe and secure with protecting your gear, your models and yourself, the images will never let you down. If they do, the experience won't.

Hopefully when we reshoot the models in a few weeks, the clouds will be as cool as they where today.

No comments: