Free is killing me! article (click here)

I just read this great article today by SoCal photographer Matt Brown. It seems he is voicing the same opinion a lot of established photographers share these days about photography and business. It is very exciting when someone can buy a camera that can deliver high quality images with little to no training. "Just put it on P and go with it." But that should not mean that people are instant professionals.  
I read comments and frustrations like this constantly. Many of them come from ones who have been established in the business of photography for many years. I guess I have not experienced in 14 years I basically did it for free. Sure I was employed in the Navy and got a paycheck twice a month, but so did the monkies with cameras who didn't care about photography.
Making money from photography is something that needs to be learned and mastered. It should be fair and should be based on the quality and needs of the client. If a client want's to be dishonest, I believe they will get what they ask for. The same goes for one who thinks 100 bucks and credit line is a good thing. 
But when it is all said and done, what are we doing it for? If it is for the money, then maybe today is the day to find a better or different tactic. If it is for the love of photography then maybe talking to someone about business might help.
I will be photographing for the rest of my life, whether I live in a shack or mansion. There are a million different ways to make a million dollars. To be able to do it AND do something you love, then I think you got it made and are truly free.

I am reminded of a quote by Bresson...
I suggest reading Matt's article and get his opinion on it. Click here to read it.


No comments: